Sunday, March 24, 2013

Best Case Scenario

       The winds of change have shifted. The new pope, Francis, is the right man for the right time. As a world body, the Catholic Church needs a new focus. I'm excited because I see two important elements coming into play. First, the poor, and then some rigorous stress on education. As a Jesuit, Pope Francis has these qualities in spades. In the liturgical cycle, lent will soon be over. Time to get back to the main mission.
        Reading Thomas Merton, my favorite monk, last night, I chanced upon words that just blew me away.  "We live in the time of no room, which is the time of the end. The time when everyone is obsessed with lack of time, lack of space, with saving time, conquering space, projecting into time and space the anguish produced within them by the technological furies of size, volume, quantity, speed, number, price, power and acceleration."
      When Hope had a message of concern, she would tear a page out of the Robert Service book of poems, and mail it to me along with some cryptic side notes. As Mike and I talked about it this morning, Hope and Bill really taught us to survive which is the best you can really ever do for your kids. The synopsis: You can drink beer, but if its premium, you will have to spend a little more.


       

3 comments:

  1. I've often thought about how interesting it would be to sit around and rank our favorite monks...alas, I only know one.

    Also, I prefer the random poetry email/text. Cryptic side notes are always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CQ: Plus the added complication of a possible bias. Sufi's, Hindu, Christian, just to name a few would all be in the running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your the best Tony... Truly, loved the post.. much to think about!

    ReplyDelete