Sunday, August 1, 2010

Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside

I live in a quiet, (mostly) safe neighborhood with a half-acre lot, surrounded by a few homes, woods and a creek across the street. Traffic is minimal, but occasionally when driving home, I'll have a pseudo-premonition of one of my cats, bloody and run over in the middle of the street. It's traumatic, to say the least, and morbid, and makes my heart stop, wondering if/when the scenario will ever play out. I could keep them locked in the house at all times, but they're feral by nature, not special breeds that have been pampered and declawed, napping in fleece-lined beds by the window as they wait for my daily return.

One of the many topics Tony and I discussed during my recent visit (while drinking my new favorite beer, Moosehead, until 5 a.m.), was the importance of having a dream. Turns out we have a similar vision: owning a piece of property, with a barn large enough to store cats, chickens, and some tractors. The nay-sayers think it's an unrealistic, too-far-from-the-gas-station, expensive beer plan, which is probably why I've been reluctant to verbalize it.

Robert and I spent the weekend looking for puppies and farms, not necessarily in that order. I mentioned some sort of swap would be perfect: they could move into my house and keep some cats, and I'll take their home, in which they'll leave a few dogs. Robert informed me that my debt to income ratio would be great if we were married - officially, the least romantic proposal ever. (Logic is a perfect balance for my impulsivity).

My favorite of the bunch is in Newton, Alabama: 14 acres with 1 barn, 1 equipment shed, a pole barn and a 2.5 acre stocked pond. I've already started to imagine my drive home after a long day's work, sitting on the wooden swing with a beer, surrounded by rolling hills, trees, and lilies from the cabin. My blood pressure feels pounds lower!

5 comments:

  1. I like the pond. If it's stocked with trout, we'll come visit so Mr. G can fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Quinlans being herded into Alabama, and that makes you the Shepard. PQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not? A good dream. You should do it. I found it interesting to learn your dream. thanks for sharing. That pond is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GW: with my luck, it'll be catfish, ugh!

    PQ: first Alabama, then Ireland!

    Susie: think of the painting you could do, mixing up the beach scenes on your way to St. George Island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rolling hills, pond, trees, and several barns? A place that nice wouldn't even really need a house to be ideal. Strider would say, "It's not the gold, its the finding", but you have both of these in this picture.

    ReplyDelete