Friday, December 3, 2010

14.7 pounds per square inch

I don't remember my godfather's face for I was very young. My godmother was even more remote as I never knew her name.
Mystery godparents, but they were out there, just the same (excuse the what Hope would term 'nickel- pickle rhyme').
When J.D. asked me to be John David III's godfather, I was baffled. Strange pick I thought, why me?
Years later, my eyes were opened in a little Midland country church. Brian and Joe were singing their hearts out to Protestant hymns I had never heard before. Enthusiasm Unbound! This wasn't an ordinary event. In the pew with me, it appeared to be Godfathers, Inc singing. Now, I understand that godchildren are an extra bond to the earth and I love everyone of mine.

9 comments:

  1. I think he picked you because you know the atmospheric pressure at sea level... ;)

    And I agree, Godparents can be wonderful gifts. Tom T. Hall albums and cherry trees - things I'll never forget, that will always remind me of Uncle Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Tony you are a grand god father! I have always considered myself lucky to have you and aunt pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, science is the key here. You nailed it.

    McKenzie, i love the term, grand god father, has a ring to it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tony.. that is why you were picked many many times in our family..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cosmic connection to my godfather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right back atchya, Godfather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LQ: I am convinced, after years of study, that we have the best family ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a great God Father Uncle T....they are blessed to have you. Not bad as a straight up uncle either I might add :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleen: straight up uncle could go with Carhartt jacket.

    ReplyDelete