Thursday, January 13, 2011

COLA

Wm T. would often say, "It only cost a nickel more to go top shelf." When he sent you to the store, no one dared point out inflation, or the Cost of Living Allowance. These weren't relevant. This basic fact still held true. Quality isn't much more expensive than cheap. Plus the fact that quality is much more enjoyable to use while you are using it.
In the book world, I have been torn between my eReader and hard copy books, for I love them both for somewhat different reasons. Last week on a quirk, I went scouring the internet for leather bound books. An Edgar Allen Poe book went for eighteen dollars, but some leather bound classics were over a thousand. I took Bill's simple approach by buying a leather cover for my Kindle for a mere thirty five bucks.

4 comments:

  1. Cost of Living Allowance, eh? You must have some mew military friends...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,
    It is funny how we use so many different way to keep our parents in our heart... their wisdom applies still to this day.. My favorite of my old man is.." If they tell you to hang it upside down, you hang it upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That expression has rung in my ears for a lifetime...truth is that no matter the current street value of "the nickel" top shelf is always top shelf. You know it, you see it, and it feels good to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen: Ah, one more day and a wake up.

    Erin: The nice thing is they never leave.

    DHK: Seems unreal, but quality is cheaper in the long run. Dare we say a bargain.

    ReplyDelete