Thursday, October 4, 2012

Some May even call it Brutal.

My dad was brutally honest about everything. A few years ago when he got a bad report from his doctor saying that the cancer was in his spine, my dad called and we had the following conversation:
Dad: "Well, Kelly. That's it. I'm gonna die. Cancer is in my spine and that's it."
Me: Crying. "No, dad I don't want you to die."
Dad: "It's ok. You had a hard time getting started with your life, and better me, than you."
Me: "I don't think so, dad. I don't want you to die." Me still crying.
Dad: "I can't listen to you cry any more. Can you go call your mother so she can console you?"
And then he hung up.

7 comments:

  1. Kelly, i appreciate your accuracy in recounting those important moments. i don't know if Brain consoled very many people. After Gary O'Berski's funeral, Shannon came crying to see Bill, while he was living in my basement.
    Bill said, " Well honey, it could be a lot worse, you could have been ugly too."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. Pat. These comments from Brian and Bill are actually consoling in retrospect because at some point, the consolee (made up word) has to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha both of these comments are making me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad shared his sunny outlook with others. Casey told me on the morning of Joe's funeral, my dad told him:
    "Well Casey, it's only going to get worse from here."

    My mom's right. At the time of delivery, it's horrible but in retrospect, you have to laugh at what they said.
    Kind of gift... you're left laughing about an awful situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did find an email earlier where he did console.
    It's in my blog... I'm starting to write in it there again.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Sunny outlook" That's a good one, Kel. Bri told me I was a pollyanna. I told him he was a pessimist. He said no "I am a realist." The sad truth is that combat hurt a gentle soul.

    ReplyDelete