Thursday, September 27, 2012

Golden Boy vs. Black Sheep

Driving back last night, I was trying to wrap my mind around a couple things. 

The first of which was how my Aunt Shannon actually thought she might screw up my niece's computer by logging on to caringbridge.org using her own email address on a computer that was not hers. Ummm.....I am sure you were just kidding....right? Please tell me? Right? 

The second idea...was much more complex. All families with multiple children have to know exactly what I am talking about here..... Quinlan kids....3 boys, 1 princess...whoops...sorry Quinner that slipped! 

In every family...there is a "chosen one". Now, bear in mind, this "chosen one" is not necessarily chosen by the parents, but this is a perception that siblings must have in order to properly rank their importance in the herd. Brother Patrick perceived me as the golden boy. 

To this day, it baffles me. I mean, sure, my folks paid for my college, allowed me to travel the world on their dime, helped me buy my first house and my second house, and "gave" me a canoe livery. But aside from that, I got no preferential treatment. All the while, Patrick was raising babies. Three young ladies...on his own. Times were very tough for Patrick, I know, I used to drive by his house....and slow down. It looked TOUGH! 

This path in life created a natural "edge" between us. At times, it became very intense. 

In 1988 we received a "Christmas in July" check from my Grandmother Margaret. My father, Patrick and I all ended up at Fred's bar in Roscommon. It was a joyous occasion, with lots of laughter, beer, and shots. Amidst all this joy, I decided to confront Patrick about an old debt. The details of this debt are not important, suffice it to say he "totally boned me" on a utility bill that he set up at his house in my name! I knew he had the cash in his pocket to cover it. I demanded payment. He reached in his pocket, and pulled out a fist full of NOTHING and said, "this is exactly what you're getting from me....tonight."

SECONDS later, there we were, in the parking lot, battling like only true brothers could. YEARS of frustration being laid out on the pavement. My father was in a state of shock, powerless to stop the EMOTIONALLY charged battle. I was tough as hell back in those days...Patrick was much tougher! 

When the dust settled, and cops rolled in, Patrick climbed off of me. He looked me right in the eyes and said, "I could have killed you golden boy...but I didn't."

I would give ANYTHING to have that battle with you again, Black Sheep. 

Anything! (and if I have to let you win again....I will!) 

GB 

Brian Quinlan

4 comments:

  1. Brian: I absolutely love that tale! You are right on the money when you mention that usually we rank ourselves and reality doesn't change it. As the expression goes, What is stronger perception or reality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I cannot say often enough how much I enjoy your knowledge of self and humorous insights into 'family' continue to give my real rib tickling joy. I am a strong believer in everyone telling and claiming their own stories. Love, PQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing better than reading these stories, would be hearing them in person, Brian, with Pat chiming in. Keep 'em coming! (uh, you will because there are a couple more in caringbridge).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Yea that is what we are talking about.. getting real.. loved your story.. truly, much to think about.. love Erin

    ReplyDelete