Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chase Boat

[note: after Patrick's motorcycle accident last September, I was incredibly worried, scouring facebook for a status update, photo or any hopeful news at all. Thankfully, someone initiated an online care journal where Patrick's progress and encouraging thoughts could be added and shared. Brian wrote several entries that made me understand what laughing and crying simultaneously felt like. - CQ]

Written Sep 13, 2011 12:54pm

I remember a few years back when you decided that you were going to paddle the straights of Mackinac. After some discussions about your plan, and your route, I suggested you get a "chase boat" ...just in case someone was to flip or experience some unexpected challenge.

You said, "I don't need any effin' chase boat!" and you were correct. You and your crew made it with little difficulty. Perfect day...perfect friends...perfect experience.

This term is just stuck in my mind today. Chase boat. 

There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of times you have affected others and helped them through a difficult time by being their chase boat. You, my brother, don't need a chase boat, because you ARE a chase boat. You will be needed again and again to fill this role for your friends and family....we are here for you now, and we know you will be there for us in the future!

(I did peel a $20 out of your fanny pack at the hospital. You said you would pay me back this week - you did!)

 Brian Quinlan

2 comments:

  1. Brian: i just love this story! You hit the nail on the head. One of the reasons Patrick is so well loved is that he is a chase boat for lots of folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful, Brian. I remember reading most of what you wrote after Patrick's accident but missed this one. It made me laugh and cry.

    ReplyDelete