Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Generation Gap

Uncle Vern died at the end of May in a motorcycle accident while returning from a music festival in Missouri. This trip was in addition to perhaps 750,000 miles of other cycle trips in which he and his wife Eileen visited all lower forty eight states. Devastated by Eileen's death several years ago, partial therapy for him was the purchase of a more powerful motorcycle to hit the road again. Linda, his daughter, said in the eulogy that her dad was the last of the farmer-cowboys.
Vern was an incredible person in many ways, but perhaps singular in one. He was in his mid-eighties and lived to the end T.S. Eliot's notion that old men should be explorers. His youthful spirit will be forever missed.

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone should be so fortunate to go out doing something they love...I wonder how I'll have a "death by cats"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Aw, hell, I got nine lives. I can spare a few." That cat picture that you sent me smoking the cigarette, knows how "to go out".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Vern will be missed. Great man the few memories we had. I agree though....once your mind wraps around the fact you gots to go....what a way!

    ReplyDelete