Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Sausage

I like the idea of a family blog, even though I am not particularly good at writing in my own blog. But, I don't mind another distraction from the cubicle-world in which I live.

I spent last weekend, including Father's Day, with many of you - and it was lovely. I don't feel particularly sad about Father's Day. My dad never made a fuss about it. But he did make a fuss about the presents, such as:

* The Happy Shirt. He wore it a lot. Too much, really. * A new wallet, complete with scrawly, hand-drawn photos of each kid. He kept the drawings in the plastic picture-sleeve for years, and whenever someone asked to see a picture of his kids, he'd whip out the pitiful self-portraits we created as kids. Cartoon kids.

* Multiple Chia Pets, which, to our dismay, never grew any hair under our care. However, after spending a few mysterious weeks at his work, the Chia Pet would always return with a head full of hair, boxed with Easter grass and plastic eggs. A miracle!

* Summer sausage and cheese from the the Hickory Farm stand in the mall. When in doubt, this was my go-to Dad gift.

7 comments:

  1. Lacy: I'm SO glad you're here! I rarely write in my blog, either, but this is such a great concept, especially for OUR family. It's like having a best friend and saying, "remember that time in 1987 when..." and they do. And you don't have to try and explain why we were in bars or make them understand what being a Quinlan is about. Your dad's happy shirt - I remember it. Being in the B-1 - yeah, I was there. The memories are now shared.

    I laughed about the pitiful self-portraits...and wish I had thought to do that with Patrick's. Too, too funny.

    Poor Tony: all he ever got were candles and ties. I don't believe I've ever seen him light one of those candles, but he must have quite a stash by now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacy, I absolutely love this! Great Portrait, makes me want to read it over and over again. I'm so glad that you are on board with the Q project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lacy.. wow, the healing is happening when we can say out loud how much we loved the time we spend with our love ones. I always loved the way your dad took normal things and made you look at things totally backwards.. like the photo's that is funny stuff.. Your writing is great, keep it up Please. it helps me so much. Even if it sucks that day...let us know that also. I love being involved.
    As a sister, I would of never know that funny story if not for you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I've been gone for most of my adult life - I love the stories and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lacy, I am feeling inspired to pull together some audio tracks for this blog. It will take some investigation, Colleen is going to help me.
    In my favorite dream I 'm flying. It is a rare dream, but it sure feels like flying and I hate waking and feeling grounded.

    Hope and Bill died when I was a little over 30. For a long time after, I would dream that I was remodeling the Keego House on Cass Ave. I always found a hidden room. Hope and Bill were there together in a bed of Gold, happy as farmers in town on a saturday night. I woke up smiling.

    You are a joyful girl. Love, PQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. PQ/LQ: your dreams are comforting...I wish I had more than the standard "losing my teeth" dream.

    I look forward to the challenge of audio clips - and the blog will be complete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been away for a few days...it's so nice to come back and see the conversation :)

    ReplyDelete