Sunday, October 10, 2010

Give that Girl a 10


10/10/10 - A special day - Susie’s birthday.

Susie and I met 45 years ago- before we were with the Quinlan boys. We’ve been accused of having addictive personalities: bowling 7 hours straight on Saturdays; volleyball and walleyball followed by bar stops; bridge games and tournaments to excess; moving each other and decorating together, and traveling whenever we could. The common factor to each escapade was lots of from-the-gut laughter.

One Quinlan memory of the "dynamic duo" was when we decided to surprise Hope on her birthday by remodeling her kitchen. At the time Hope and Bill had the chicken farm. Susie and I found some exciting wallpaper with modern, goofy-looking chickens. It was bright yellow and orange (an Irishman’s favorite color) - very cool. Of course, Susie was about 8 months pregnant so I did the majority of the work. When we were finished, elated and satisfied that we had done a great thing, we went to the bar with Hope where Susie was hit on (really made Hope and me giggle). Both Hope and Bill graciously hated the wallpaper, saying they needed sunglasses to get up in the morning. (We have matured since then and only paint rooms when the owner buys the color they want.)

Susie has a magical charm, enthusiasm for life, openness, and sensitivity to others which puts friends, family and strangers at ease. Her artistic talents are amazing and I am proud to display many of her paintings. Her artistic personality makes her a little quirky at times but, hey, that’s part of her charm.

Her greatest quality to me is being a true friend and I am grateful every day for having her in my life. If the Olympics had a "heart" contest, Susie would surely get a 10.

Have a great birthday, Susie.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Susie! I agree with Carol. You have added so much to so many other lives, I couldn't even imagine our family without you in it. Have a wonderful birthday. I know you will as you really know how to enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet blog Carol!

    We'll do our best to laugh today. We're going to the beach to read our books, and hang out. Then I think we're grilling steaks, and going to see the Social Network later. Hopefully, we'll fit in a birthday cocktail later too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, Carol. You made me cry on my birthday. Nothing could be a better gift than your blog from the heart. I love you.
    Susie
    PS> You are my absolute all-time super star favorite traveling companion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSIE! I absolutely love this photo of you (especially the cigarette in your hand). I really miss those special weekends. Your warmth and charm ARE infectious - how lucky we all are to know you. I would give you a ten (without any triple axles).

    I still can't believe you and my mom have known each other for 45 years, but it's true: you're the perfect dynamic duo. I can't tell you how much I look forward to your future traveling adventures through Enterprise!

    Have a wonderful day - make sure Kelly cooks you some glop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,

    I am in love with your writing! And couldn't help but laugh out loud at the addictive personality comment, bowling for 7 hours straight?? You two are some wild women! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol,
    Your a good writer, that was really fun.. also, I totally agree on how much fun it is to have Susie as a friend. She has always been great to me.. from saving me from my first worse hair cut at 14 years old. She took me to a real salon and got it fixed for me.. she just saying thank God your pretty Erin.. all while I was crying..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sisters-in-law as special as sisters. How uplifting!

    ReplyDelete