Monday, October 11, 2010

Vladimir's Service Pack

Converting to Quicken last year to manage my finances had been the final step in my PC-to-Mac conversion at home, with one tiny hurdle: no one knew the password that would allow the computer to receive updates. After much discussion, Team Mac (Tony and Patrick) eagerly set to work installing a new operating system, Snow Leopard, on my iMac. Confident I was in the hands of experts, I paid no further attention to the i-chatter.

Patrick explained how he registered his own new computer under 'Vladimir Petrenko' of Moscow, Russia, then Ed-proofed it against his dad by changing his ip address, adding passwords, programs and a host of other stealth moves to prevent invasion (where was all this talent when I was married to his dad?).

At the end of the day, unfortunately, an older copy of my financial files was saved, which means I lost all records for 2010 and iPhoto didn't make the journey to the updated computer. I don't dare file a complaint...

8 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    I remember doing the program Dollar and cents and it was a easy program. until Nov 10th, with Tony's support we successfully, lost year 2000... I have learned so much.... Tony is also my techie support guy... he is the most fun guy for the job, as we also get to laugh while we are or not learning anything.. always a good time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will help you out...umm...you made a bunch of money and paid out a bunch of money....ending balance...zero :) I love the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at that customer service department

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, aunt Erin! I wouldn't trade my tech guys for anything, and I love watching how excited they get.

    Kathleen: and how will I ever know how much money was spent on beer during the winter months? Sadly, I'm addicted to those reports.

    Patrick: it's my new screensaver/wallpaper at work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those two look pretty buff! Are they into breaking knee-caps as side projects?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two cute tough tech guys. Wish they could come to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany: so true...if not for the Dylan smirk in those eyes.

    Susie: if Snowball's DUI trial doesn't go well, the plan is to send him up to Michigan and rotate/wear out his welcome with the family. Just let me know when you want to schedule him... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snowball is welcome anytime at my place. He is a trip unto himself.

    ReplyDelete