Friday, September 3, 2010

Larry

Larry was the perfect big brother to me and I always adored him. When I was 6 and he was just shy of 10, I would follow behind him as we walked to the bus stop, imitating his form. I needed to control the natural swivel of my hips, swing my arms, take long strides and lift to the balls of my feet with each step. Perfect.

Larry had a love of nature and animals throughout his life. I will never forget Beeper, the bluebird with a broken wing that he mended in our basement and then set free. Animals returned his love. Once he came to visit with me at Susie’s. Her dog, Reese, was very old and riddled with arthritis. When Larry arrived Reese was wagging his tail and acting like a puppy, staying the entire time at Larry’s side. If Larry got up to go to the bathroom, Reese followed right behind.

Larry loved being in the wilderness, either camping, hunting or just walking. He was always soft spoken and accepted things as they are. His very presence calmed me when I was stressed. When he lost the strength in his legs and his balance, I asked if he was frustrated or angry that he could no longer walk and he told me, "I guess God figured I used up all my steps."

In August he had his first surgery and he was back in ICU with all of those wires. I watched the screen and saw his heart beat rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen level and at the bottom his respiration chart. The mimicking little sister returned – inhale to the peak, exhale, hold...inhale to the peak, exhale, hold – we were in union again.

Now he is walking ahead of me to join Star, Jack, Mom, and Dad. I can see him with a gentle smile on his face, swinging his arms, taking long strides and lifting to the balls of his feet with each step.

8 comments:

  1. Mom: this is just so touching...and sad. You're such a wonderful caregiver for Larry, and I know he appreciates the comfort you bring. I've been thinking of the strength he has, to never complain, knowing what terrible pain he's been in (over the past year, at least). I found a great photo of you, David and your brothers, so as soon as I get the scanner connected, I'll send it...

    On a side note, I must indirectly have inherited the bop and arm swing from Uncle Larry, huh? Who knew? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just beautiful, Carol. Your love for Larry shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, this is both heart wrenching and uplifting. You have put it all together. Sad as ends are, I am happy to have known Larry. I believe as you, this is just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, thanks for the photo, it brings many good memories. And thanks for the phone call which let me share all the loving moments of Larry's final day.

    Susie, at the end Larry was surrounded by everyone's love. Without being able to speak, he managed to bring together Rick & Lynn, Alan, me and all of his kids for a final farewell.

    Tony: The experience was more than uplifting. I appreciate how much my heart has grown because of Larry. And your music filled me up so I could be the best sister ever when he needed me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,
    so very touching, you live and love with your whole being. I am so sorry for you loss.. it is heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry Aunt Carol. May you find comfort and smiles in all the wonderful memories you shared.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. CQ - I am thinking of you today. It was nice to be able to re-read this.

    ReplyDelete