Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sequence, studying & self-reliance

I kept waiting for the inspirational moment in which I would have a great realization about college life and my newfound independence. At that opportune moment, I would whip out my Macbook and blog about it while sounding educated and well-rounded as I sip coffee in a hip cafe. I’m almost a month in and I have had many small realizations, most of which are not blog worthy. But for $339/credit hour this is what I have come to realize:

People think you are much cooler than you are when you have a guitar in your room.

Roommates will steal your food. The next morning, you will steal their headphones.

You don’t have to wear sequence and leggings. Most nights, you probably shouldn’t.

On Friday mornings you have to yell louder than the alarm to make sure she gets up for her 8 o’clock test.

It’s never “nothing” when she stays the night in his dorm five out of seven days of the week.

We have half the same genetic makeup as a banana.

Being a football player is not a personality trait.

Suddenly, you are remorseful of the years your sister spent telling you to keep your things on your side of the room. Karma is a bitch.

Studying is essential. Making sure you study the correct chapter is even more important.

Boys know how to make you feel special to them. The trick is remembering that you are too special for them.

Staying up until two and waking a few hours later is suddenly acceptable.

Smoke breaks are a good time for socializing… and telling your roommate that your dad died from cancer.

Eye contact makes you new friends; so does remembering their name.

Your mother’s voice makes everything ok.

10 comments:

  1. Sadie,

    Though having a guitar in your room does make you appear cooler, the trick is you have to know how to play that guitar. So along the way I've discovered instruments that you can have to appear musically inclined but no real talent is needed. Go to the goodwill and get yourself some bongos and a harmonica girl- they will coin you the Bob Dylan of your hall! Or I could just send you a care package containing at least one harmonica ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those dollars are paying off....this was wonderful to read. I love you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, your own little pearls! Lovely. I love bananas. They will never keep it all on "their" side. They never do. I look cool with my guitar too, except when I play it. I only do that when NO ONE is around. Which is why I am still suck. Good job today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadie,
    I had so much fun reading this. Great writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadie,
    Your sounding smarter all of the time.. remember don't pass on your kick ass dance moves, save that for graduation..
    I enjoy the way both you and Lacy write so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Sadie. As Robert Service would say, "You've hit the proper place." Fun, learning, and multi tasking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only change from the mid-60's - instead of sequins and leggings, we wore mohair sweaters and stirrup pants! Love the "beautiful people" photo as well as your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys know how to make you feel special to them. The trick is remembering that you are too special for them. hahahaha. hope its going good in college !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps the girl on the far right is hot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boys make you feel special because everybody's special. Girls just take a lot longer to figure that out. And it takes MORE genes to make an ear of corn than a human. And did TiffanyBerry really suggest bongos?? Is that still happening? That worked in my dorm in 1960. And I'd say being a football player is kind of a personality trait, and usually it is the ONLY trait found in that personality. And finally, making eye contact and remembering names at my age are not only superhuman feats, but they also get you reported to the police as a stalker and/or a perv.

    ReplyDelete